Seatbelts are designed to save lives. It’s simple. Wearing a seatbelt is the single most effective thing you can do to protect yourself in a crash.
Seat belts saved an estimated 14,955 lives and could have saved an additional 2,549 people if they had been wearing seat belts, in 2017 alone.
Buckling up helps keep you safe and secure inside your vehicle, whereas not buckling up can result in being totally ejected from the vehicle in a crash, which is almost always deadly.
Airbags are not enough to protect you; in fact, the force of an airbag can seriously injure or even kill you if you’re not buckled up.
Improperly wearing a seat belt, such as putting the strap below your arm, puts you and your children at risk in a crash.
Airbags are designed to work with seat belts, not replace them
If you don’t wear your seat belt, you could be thrown into a rapidly opening frontal airbag. Such force could injure or even kill you.
Guidelines to buckle up safely
- The lap belt and shoulder belt are secured across the pelvis and rib cage, which are better able to withstand crash forces than other parts of your body.
- Place the shoulder belt across the middle of your chest and away from your neck.
- The lap belt rests across your hips, not your stomach.
- NEVER put the shoulder belt behind your back or under an arm.
- Before you buy a new car, check to see that its seat belts are a good fit for you.
- Ask your dealer about seat belt adjusters, which can help you get the best fit.
- If you need a roomier belt, contact your vehicle manufacturer to obtain seat belt extenders.
- If you drive an older or classic car with lap belts only, check with your vehicle manufacturer about how to retrofit your car with today’s safer lap/shoulder belts.
Tag:Adams, Allegheny County, Beaver, buckleup, butler, cranberry twp, defensive driving, defensive driving butler, Driver Schools, driver's education, falling leaves, Fox Chapel, Franklin Park, Gibsonia, Hampton, Individual Driver Training, Mars, new teen driving law, North Allegheny, Pine, reduce risk, road safety, safe driving, seatbelt safety, seatbelts, sewickley, Teen Driver Schools, Teen Driving, Teen Driving Schools, Teenage Driver School, teenage driving, Teenage Driving Schools, Treesdale, Valencia, Warrendale, wexford, Zelienople