It’s Back to School Time
August means school will be back in session, and we want to ensure that everyone is safe during this time.
When Do You Stop For A Stopped School Bus?
Pennsylvania School Bus Stopping Law
- When you meet or overtake a stopped school bus with red signal lights flashing and stop arm extended, you MUST STOP.
- When you approach an intersection where a school bus is stopped with red signal lights flashing and stop arm extended, you MUST STOP.
- You MUST STOP at least ten (10) feet away from the school bus.
- You MUST WAIT until the red lights have stopped flashing and the stop arm has been withdrawn before moving.
- DO NOT MOVE until all the children have reached a place of safety.
Drivers may proceed on a highway with clearly defined dividing sections or physical barriers providing separate roadways. This only applies when the school bus is on the opposite side of the road. If in Doubt, STOP!
If you are convicted of violating Pennsylvania’s School Bus Stopping Law, you will receive all of the following penalties:
- 60- Day Driver’s License Suspension
- Five (5) points on your driving record
- $250 Fine
Annually, over 1,000 motorists do not obey the School Bus Stopping Law.